Sunday 15 January 2012

Flat out sewing!!!

I've been home alone this week with high hopes of doing lots of stitching.  Somehow I don't do as much as I expect I can.  I did take a photo of my borders for the blackbird quilt however my tech support (17yo son) is snowboarding in Japan for the week.  I wasted a couple of hours trying to figure out how to download the photos from my camera then gave up.

This photo from a couple of months ago will have to do.  There is a quilt under there.  Harry really thinks he's a cat and he adores Dougal (pictured) however he usually can't leave him alone and is either trying to lick his face off or lay on top of him.  So catching them asleep together was pretty special.

On the sewing front I did manage to stitch the 3 finished borders to my blackbird quilt.  I've accidently personalised the last border by stitching the stem across the whole border and not stopping it short and adding leaves to the ends.  After much discussion I have decided to leave it as is and just add the leaves to finish it off.  By the time I do get it finished Jack will be back from Japan and I will be able to show a photo of the quilt.

I have done a bit of work on the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt Orca Bay.  I still have lots of cutting out to do and it seems like thousands of triangles to make. 

My friend Tracey and I have started to applique the small basket blocks from Blackbird Designs book When the Cold Wind Blows. I cut out all the backgrounds and did the 1st block last year but this year we are going to work on it more.  I've done nearly 5 baskets and Traceys done lots more than that.

I also made a backing in record time.  I took a large quilt to get machine quilted.  The first time I have ever had a quilt professionally quilted.  I'm very excited about it as I finished it a year ago and don't know when I would have got around to doing it myself.  It is from a Miss Rosie book and I have used similar fabrics to the book cause they are Blackbird Designs fabrics.  There is a theme here in case you haven't noticed I think I'm a Blackbird fanatic.  Love their fabric ranges and their patterns.  Tracey and I even did a weekend workshop with them a few years ago at Fragrant Cottage in Warrnambool it was fabulous and they were really lovely.Their quilts were amazing too.

Think that better be it for tonight.
Bye for now.

Debra.

1 comment:

  1. Well done....lol on the borders! Still it makes it just yours and nobody elses.

    ReplyDelete